When I started our support group in 2016, I created this Whole Food Plant Based resource list to hand out to everyone that came. I wanted them to have all of the WFPB resources that had helped me in the beginning of my journey.
This list has morphed over the years and will continue to change as I continue to learn and discover. It’s a good start for now, keep checking back for updates and may you be happy and healthy!
- Forks Over Knives – Forks Over Knives examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting our present menu of animal-based and processed foods. The major storyline in the film traces the personal journeys of a pair of pioneering yet under-appreciated researchers, Dr. T. Colin Campbell and Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn.
- What The Health – This film examines the link between diet and disease, and the billions of dollars at stake in the healthcare, pharmaceutical and food industries.
- Fat Sick and Nearly Dead – Two men whose bodies have been trashed by steroids, obesity and illness, document their rigorous healing path in a bid to regain their health. ***Focus on juicing.
- Engine 2 Kitchen Rescue: – Join Rip Esselstyn, former Texas firefighter and best selling author, as he teaches the two families the basics of a whole-food, plant-based diet.
- All of these can be found on Netflix and possibly You Tube or Hulu. Some are also at the library. There are many more good documentaries out there but if you can only watch one make it be Forks Over Knives.
- The Healthiest Diet on the Planet: Why the Foods You Love-Pizza, Pancakes, Potatoes, Pasta, and More-Are the Solution to Preventing Disease and Looking and Feeling Your Best Sep 27, 2016, by John McDougall ** my favorite go to book by John A. McDougall and Mary McDougall
- Crazy Sexy Diet – The nutritional information Kris Carr delivers is spot on and fabulous. I do not necessarily support her delivery in terms of occasional profanity and crude jokes. When dealing with disease at times we must “eat the hay and leave the wire.”)
- The Engine 2 Diet: The Texas Firefighter’s 28-Day Save-Your-Life Plan that Lowers Cholesterol and Burns Away the Pounds Hardcover – February 25, 2009 by Rip Esselstyn (Author)
- Plant-Strong: Discover the World’s Healthiest Diet–with 150 Engine 2 Recipes Paperback – December 29, 2015 by Rip Esselstyn (Author)
- The Forks Over Knives Plan: How to Transition to the Life-Saving, Whole-Food, Plant-Based DietPaperback– January 17, 2017 by Alona Pulde M.D. (Author), Matthew Lederman M.D. (Author)
- Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health – Paperback – June 28, 2011. By Gene Stone
- Forks Over Knives – The Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Plant-Based Eating All Through the Year Paperback – August 14, 2012
- How Not to Die “and” the How Not to Die Cookbook: 100+ Recipes to Help Prevent and Reverse Disease Hardcover – December 5, 2017 by Michael Greger M.D. MD (Author), Gene Stone. (***love- love -love this doctor. He studies tons of research findings so we don’t have to, and he gets the news out about the findings). ***Highly recommend this book – possibly first.
- The China Study: Revised and Expanded Edition: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, and Long-Term Health Paperback – December 27, 2016 by T. Colin Campbell (Author), M.D. Thomas M. Campbell II (Author)
- Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition Paperback – May 6, 2014 by T. Colin Campbell (Author), Howard Jacobson
- The Food Babe Way: Break Free from the Hidden Toxins in Your Food and Lose Weight, Look Years Younger, and Get Healthy in Just 21 Days! March 8, 2016, by Vani Hari and Mark Hyman
- The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook: Over 300 Delicious Low-Fat Recipes You Can Prepare in Fifteen Minutes or Less. Apr 1, 1999, by John A. McDougall and Mary McDougall.
- The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss: Apr 1, 1995 by John A. McDougall
- Cut the Sugar, You’re Sweet Enough: Cookbook. Jan 5, 2016. by Ella Leche (**not completely whole food plant based, she uses Stevia which is chemically formulated and oils)
- YumUniverse: Infinite Possibilities for a Gluten-Free, Plant-Powerful, Whole-Food Lifestyle. Oct 28, 2014 by Heather Crosby and Brendan Brazier. (**not completely whole food plant based, she uses Stevia which is chemically formulated and oils)
- YumUniverse Pantry to Plate: Improvise Meals You Love―from What You Have!―Plant-Packed, Gluten-Free, Your Way! May 16, 2017 by Heather Crosby. (**not completely whole food plant based, she uses Stevia which is chemically formulated and oils)
- 21 Day Kickstart; Breaking the Food Seduction; The Cheese Trap and Foods that Fight Pain are but a few of the excellent books by Dr. Barnard. He is responsible for starting PCRM below.
- Mc Dougall’s Health and Wellness Center. You can follow his program for free. Great explanations of WFPB.
- Forks Over Knives answering lots of questions about protein, calcium, what to eat, etc…
- NutritionFacts.org – What is the healthiest diet? Find out what the latest science is saying about your favorite foods to help you make the healthiest choices for you and your family. Watch their free videos on thousands of health and nutrition topics with new videos and articles uploaded every day. (***love- love -love Dr. Greger). He studies tons of research findings so we don’t have to, and he gets the news out about the findings).
- The Vegan Junction – A huge compilation of amazing Vegan and Whole Food Plant Based resources.
- The Food Babe – She investigates the chemicals in our food. Challenges big food companies and explains details on her findings.
- The Juicing Collection – my favorite juicing blog. You can download a pdf booklet to get started on juicing the healthy way.
- Engine 2 Diet – Great site with recipes, tips and a starter plan.
- Kriscarr.com – Author of Crazy Sexy Diet, Crazy Sexy Juice, Crazy Sexy Kitchen, Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips. Tons of helpful information.
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine – PCRM is a non profit health org. that promotes preventative medicine, conducts clinical research and is leading a revolution in medicine that puts a new focus on health and compassion.
- www.plantstrongandcourageous.com – this is my personal site that will help others like you learn what whole food plant based is and how to begin. Please share it with those you love!!!!
- Dr. Greger’s Daily Dozen: An app that keeps you nutritionally balanced while eating whole food plant based.
- Forks Over Knives recipe app for tons of great recipes.
- McDougall’s Recipe app for even more great recipes.
Listen to podcasts:
Podcasts are a great way to learn fast. We don’t always have the time to sit and read, but we can always listen to a podcast while driving, cleaning or even eating a meal! Here are a few to choose from. Keep checking back for updates.
- Audio Podcasts from Dr. Greger – Nutrition Facts.org
- Chris Beat Cancer
- The Exam Room by PCRM
- Rich Roll Podcast
- No Meat Athlete
These Whole Food Plant Based resources are a great place for you to start. Here’s to your health!!!!